Monday, January 3, 2011

Passion for Art

I guess I should start this thing by talking a little about myself. From the beginning there was this passion for image making. Here I am at 15 or 16 working on my Tower of Babble. A friend helped, but the idea and direction of the work was strictly my own. Art, for me, is an individual thing rather than a collective accomplishment. I knew that a seated Santa would be more impressive at 15 foot than if he were just standing. I guess I was shooting for shock. Any ambitious artist knows you have to really work at getting public recognition of your work. Getting people to actually spend time and think about a creation is a dream seldom experienced by most living artists.
The art critic of today seldom asks questions of a contemporary realistic work of art. They prefer to make things up to show how perceptive they are. To them, the artist is a dolt who performs intuitively and needs a sensitive critic to discover, recognize or understand their genius, or lack there-of. The easiest path for the critic to follow is to draw reference to works already created and reviewed. Provenance, the origin and history of a work of art is more carefully examined than the quality, excellence, or originality. By associating a work with a school, style, period or other established groupings, the critic can avoid analyzing anything not easily gleaned from a book. Since subject matter has been marginalize as a thought provoking aspect of most art works, the modern art critic   either ignores it or uses it to point out an artist’s weakness. The skill required doing realistic or representational work can be easily criticized. Design, color and emotional response to a work are more personal and thus less susceptible to critique. When recognizable subject matter is ambiguous or un-interpretive people must  either ignore the work or rely on the words of a credentialed authority such as an art critic, museum docent or curator, art historian, gallery owner or director, art teacher or professor, or an art collector connoisseur. Artists are considered bias and thus not the best source for explaining esoteric art. With over 60 years producing, teaching and studying the subject, I may be qualified as a critic, but have a very limited forum.
Perhaps I can offer this service, critique of art works, on this blog.
The main reason for starting this blog is get back to writing. I may even find some who may be interested in an elderly, unsung, artist’s rants

No comments:

Post a Comment